Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Hair today, gone tomorrow

One of the things that happens to some of us as we age is that our hair stops growing in some places and takes up residence in others.

So far, I haven't really paid much attention to my hair's migration away from the top of my head. After all, it wasn't till I was in the eighth grade that I finally summoned the nerve to ask Jack if he'd stop buzzing my head. He said "fine" and gave me a tube of Score hair gel. I got no advice about how to go about styling my new, longer hair. So I had longer hair. For a while it was glued down with Score. (That was probably geekier than the buzz cut.) And I never saw a barber until I went to college. I think Poss did my hair cutting for much of the time until then. (Jack was never much interested in giving me advice about any of my hair. When he noticed a bit of hair on my lip he said "Beth, show your brother how to shave.") Anyway, my scalp has never had a lot of style so less hair up there isn't a big deal.

What does bother me is the hair that has shown up where it wasn't or grows longer than it used to.

There's that tuft on the tragus that gives it its name. My tragus hair is very thick. Then there are nose hairs that have decided that they need to be longer and thicker than before. If I don't take care of them they stick out of my nose and look gross and tickle. My eyebrows have been getting rather long. Sometimes when I forget to trim them they hang down and tangle with my eyelashes tickling them and being very annoying. The weekend before last I got my hair cut and the stylist offered to trim my eyebrows and I was happy to let her.

So, this morning while I was taking care of my nose hairs and tragus hairs with the Sharper Image Turbo Groomer 5.0 that Jerry gave me (isn't he a sweetie?). I was surprised when I noticed that I no longer have a unibrow! It went away with my lengthy eyebrows! I don't really have a problem with it. I've always had it. (There was a time in elementary school that I did try to get rid of the hair above my nose. I don't remember being teased about it but why else would I pluck those hairs back then? I did a terrible job and had some asymmetric eyebrows for a while.)

Maybe I'll keep it trimmed for a while to see what normal eyebrows are all about. The main problem is that when it grows back it will be very obvious. That's going to make me look goofier than a kid with greasy kids' stuff in his hair.

3 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

Hair is a funny thing. As I get older, my hair gets thinner. And I used to have that unibrow thing going on, too, though I guess I've plucked those hairs enough that they've stayed away. I hate plucking my eyebrows, but at times, I really need to. I've seen some new gray hairs growing in, but I guess to the un-calibrated eyes, they look blond (albeit...platinum!).

Colleen said...

Wow, now I know what a tragus is. Do you have less hair on the antitragus or no hair at all? My hair is getting thinner, but I'll just let it grow long then coil it on top.

Colleen said...

Hey I saw a woman with a pierced tragus today. (Her lobes were pierced too.)