Friday, March 14, 2008

The sparaxises are in bloom

I love the spring! My favorite flower, the sparaxis, has started to bloom. They really like this climate and are eager to grow. Everywhere. They have moved to many places in the yard on their own. And I'm happy they have.

The link I have above shows that I'm growing only one of many varieties, the Sparaxis tricolor. I need to find all the others.

They come in many colors. Here are pictures of the different colors I found in my little yard tour this morning. One of the pictures is very blurry. It is a color I wanted to show. They close up at night so I couldn't do a retake. I'll try to get that one again when the sun is shining. In the meantime you'll at least get a feel for its color.

The last picture is a clump that are growing in the asphalt next to the driveway. As I said, they find places all over to grow. I guess that spot gets the sun they like.








6 comments:

Poss said...

Too pretty, I wish I could grow things.

Shoe said...

Very nice pix! A gardener and a photographer! Great work!

Anonymous said...

I can see why this is your favorite flower. They are SO pretty! For us here still in the throes of winter, it's nice to see some live blooming things. Keep those pictures coming!

Anonymous said...

P.S. The Pacific Bulb Society would do well to employ you to take their pictures! Even so, I enjoyed looking at their selection.

P-Doobie said...

The snow has finally melted off my vegetable patch. The garden ad in the Santa Fe New Mexican said it's time to plant peas, carrots, and lettuce. I'm not a gambler. I'll wait until May 15.

Poss said...

the wind is blowing so hard here, that if we did have flowers, they would be totally shredded.
I have a headache.