Monday, March 3, 2008

Update: Mush!

Last weekend I harvested another batch of mushrooms and Jerry put them on our pizzas. I didn't notice a lot of mushroom flavor on Saturday but today the flavor came through when we had our leftovers. Maybe sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days brings out the flavor or maybe not being so hot is the key. Anyway, the mushrooms taste good!

According to the instructions, these have gotten too mature. They say that once the caps get concave like these they're too far along. At the bottom of the picture there are a couple of mushrooms peaking over the top of the bucket that are about to turn the edges of their caps up and become too mature. They're about the size of nickels. I don't think that they're big enough to harvest.
The harvest:

I just wish they would produce as well as the picture on the cover of the instructions show. I was hoping that we'd get to use the dehydrator on what we couldn't keep up with. Maybe they'll surprise me yet.

0 comments: