Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cav/Pag

Today we got to see San Diego Opera's production of the double bill Cavalleria rusticana and Pagliacci (abbreviated "Cav/Pag").

Cav has some wonderful orchestral and choral parts. For me, the story and characters are not terribly interesting and I didn't really care that the cad Turiddu dies at the end nor that his shamed, tattletale girlfriend is left without a boyfriend. And none of their songs really does anything for me. Mamma Lucia is about the only character who I can feel sorry for but her part is too small to give me a chance to really care much. The orchestra, conducted by Edoardo Müller, played well and the chorus did a good job. Richard Leech sang Turiddu. I guess he did a good job. He sounded a bit hoarse for a while.

Pag, on the other hand, has characters I think are interesting, though not terribly likable. José Cura sang Canio very well. Mr. Cura will be singing both Turiddu and Canio at the Met next season (it will be his first Canio there so we got to see him in that role before New York does!) And Elizabeth Futral was good as Nedda. I felt bad for everybody at the end when Nedda and Silvio died. All they did was want to run away together leaving Nedda's husband in the lurch.

For those of you who couldn't make it to the opera, here's a classic performance of "Vesti la giubba" from one of the Golden Eras of opera recordings (the 1960s).

6 comments:

Poss said...

Now I remember the opera!
Except that and I must tell the story....I do not eat rice crispies with milk and here is why.

One day, I went out to the sheep/goat pen to check on a goat that had been bit by a dog. I hear rice crispies, but could not figure out why, so I lifted up her hair (an angora goat) and underneath her hair was a zillion maggots cleaning her enormous wound. I went in and got the maggot spray and took care of the little maggots. Now when I hear that snap crackle and pop, I think of ...

Chuckbert said...

OK, Poss, that was gross. Here's one that's not so bad.

When I was a kid I poured myself a bowl of Special K then added the milk. I was grossed out when I saw a bunch of little bug larvae squirming around in the milk. I've never touched Special K since then.

I think I could eat it now but it's just not one I ever think to buy. I'll stick with Grape Nuts and Raisin Bran.

P-Doobie said...

I like Elizabeth Futral. We saw her at Santa Fe in "Beatrice and Benedict" and "Semele."

P-Doobie said...

I like Elizabeth Futral. We saw her at Santa Fe in "Beatrice and Benedict" and "Semele."

Poss said...

I worked with a woman who was on a civil lawsuit case. She had bought a bag of flour and when she opened it, it had weevils in it. She alleged that she developed PTSD as a result of the terrifying experience. But I don't think she won the case.

Poss said...

the coworker was on the jury, it actually went to court.