Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Alas!

Way back at the end of January Poss asked if I was still using my original coffee roaster. I was and I posted a movie of it in action (perhaps you remember). Its original roasting pot had cracked so I was on my second one of those. A couple of weeks ago I finally got tired of the bad fit with the lid so I got a third roasting pot. The lid fits that one just fine.

A couple of days ago I was roasting coffee and at the end of the cooling period instead of saying "whirrrrr" it ended with "squaaaaawK!" I asked "squawk?" then dumped the coffee into the colander and put the roaster away.

Today I set it up to roast a new batch. When I pressed the start button it said sadly "rrrrrrr-r-r." It has given up the ghost.

It was a sad day.

I went online and ordered a new one from Sweet Maria's. It's supposed to be delivered Friday. In the meantime we might have to open the can of Illy coffee Jerry got for Christmas from his work and use the French press.

7 comments:

Poss said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.I feel your pain.

Chuckbert said...

Thanks, Poss. That is comforting coming from someone who's been through this.

Colleen said...

Yeah, Arthur C. Clarke died too. He'll never write 4001.

Shoe said...

So sorry. I know he served you well. My condolences to you and Jerry, and to Rocky and Silvia as well.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Actually, two losses in one week? I'm sure you felt the loss of the coffee roaster more than the weed whacker.

Poss said...

Did it arrive?? Does it roast good? did you upgrade??
Tell us everything and don't leave anything out!

Chuckbert said...

The new roaster was delivered yesterday. I roasted a batch and it smoked a lot more than I've ever seen and the beans were very dark and shiny minutes earlier than they should have been.

I hope I did something wrong and the roaster isn't DOA.