Saturday, March 15, 2008

Peter Grimes

Today we got to see another in the Metropolitan Opera's broadcasts to movie theaters. This time it was "Peter Grimes" by Benjamin Britten. This has been one of my favorite operas from my early days of being an opera lover. I probably wore out the library's copy from all the times I checked it out. I'm pretty sure that Mom got tired of hearing it.

I was looking forward to seeing this and wasn't disappointed (much).

As I've said, I really don't know a good performance from a great one. (I wish I did know how to tell. I'm a self-taught music listener and have never really discussed performances with others who could give me other insights.) Anyway, I thought that Grimes, Ellen Orford, Mrs. Sedley and Auntie were very good. And, of course, the orchestra was great and had a lot to say.

One problem I have with seeing these broadcasts is that the camera is always giving us a close-up view of the action. We rarely get to see the big picture. And characters like Mrs. Sedley can come across as silly caricatures on the big screen when they probably appear as well acted characters from a seat in the theater. I just wish they'd have a camera at the back of the theater and use it now and then.

I wasn't terribly thrilled with the Wall-o-Doors. It was oppressive but it seemed that having a rather abstract set behind people in very literal, period costumes was strange. And there was something about the chorus standing still, staring straight ahead when they are expressing their anger towards Grimes that didn't work for me. I think I have some feel for what the director had in mind with that but I'm going to have to think about it some more.

But I go to operas first to hear the singers and orchestra then to see the spectacle. So I was satisfied with the important parts of it.

Now I have to read the New York Times review to see if I saw the same opera as their reviewer did.

4 comments:

P-Doobie said...

We, too, didn't like the wall o' doors. During one of the intermissions, the set designer said that the set was a character and explained how it moved to become more open or more claustrophobic to mirror Grimes's mental state. The camera angles and the close-ups took that away from us.

Griffey, Racette, and Grove were wonderful. They are excellent singers and actors.

Afterwards we went to Il Vicino for a late lunch. I had lasagna Bolognese. Meh. I can do better at home.

Anonymous said...

Beauty is in the ear of the be-listener. If you enjoy it, that's what matters, I'd say.

Anonymous said...

Chuck, this is Colleen's friend Julie and I just listened to the Saturday broadcast of the Met's Peter Grimes on WHRB (Harvard radio) while I cooked dinner for Colleen and friends. I had never listened to this particular opera, but very much enjoyed it! I loved the atmospheric qualities of it and the subject. Anyway, just wanted to chime in. When I check out Colleen's blog, I check out yours too and always enjoy your observations. --Julie

Chuckbert said...

Hi, Julie! Thanks for the visit and thanks for the compliment. Chime in anytime.

Say "Hi" to Colleen for me.