Wednesday, March 12, 2008

I am so embarrassed!

Back in the sixth grade we got to go (had to go?) to shop class (thanks, Colleen, for reminding me about shop class). We made our candy dishes, ash trays (sixth graders could encourage smoking back then), and the likes.

There were examples of projects hanging on the walls. I chose to make a smiling face. It was a simple face cut out of a board of wood. When I turned it in to be graded the teacher wondered where the other mask was. He explained what the comedy and tragedy masks were about. I had no idea that they were a set. I just wanted the happy one. I was very embarrassed!

So, every time we go to a performance at the California Center for the Arts, Escondido, I am reminded of my embarrassment. They have the Comedy and Tragedy Masks hanging over their bar in the lobby.

I am so embarrassed!

8 comments:

P-Doobie said...

You should be proud! The benighted shop teacher didn't have the foresight to see that your happy face would eventually become the emblem of millions of happy Americans.

P-Doobie said...

Why are my links a mess? How do I insert a link that goes where I want it to go?

Colleen said...

I wisely chose the ashtray, which required arranging bits of colored glass on a metal base, then putting it in the kiln.

Poss said...

I made an ashtray out of tin. and I pounded it upside down, as I tend to do things backwards. So I had to correct the bowl part to match the cigaloo holder part and now it has a trough around the edge. I think Mom has it on her dresser.
I,too, was quite distressed at my mistake.

Anonymous said...

How come the smiley face didn't make it home? I have a trunk full of kids' creative endeavors from school days, but I don't recall who made which candy dish, potholder, ash tray, etc. Some day when we're all together ONE LAST TIME, we can get them out and you can all decide who made what. Meantime, Chuckbert, I think you can give up your embarrassment much like you gave up your grudge.

Chuckbert said...

I don't know if the mask made it home. Maybe I thought it was so lame that I tossed it (especially since it wasn't complete). Maybe it made it home and, because it was so unremarkable, it didn't become a treasure.

Too bad, since, as Pegbert points out, it kind of became an icon.

Oh, boy! An opportunity to haul home more stuff! At least it would help clean out Mom's house.

Chuckbert said...

I had forgotten about the kiln in shop. The shop teacher came up with a projects for the real guys to make. He hung a Coke bottle from something in the kiln and turned it on. The bottle would stretch and sort of puddle on the floor.

Too bad he didn't have the foresight to market this. Somebody apparently is making money from his idea.

BobbieS53 said...

I still have two copper pins I made in shop class with little bits of colored glass on them...check out my blog for the photo later.