Monday, March 3, 2008

Update: Roses will rise

You might remember that we started to dig up a part of our back yard to make a place for our new rose garden. Well, this weekend we finally had some cooperating weather that let us get the roses in the ground. We spent all of our daylight hours Saturday and Sunday on this little project. We dug up the ground to clean out the Bermuda grass. That is a futile effort...it will be back. There's no getting rid of that stuff. Then we dug our two foot deep holes to plant the tiny plants in. We made baskets out of chicken wire to try to keep the gophers from eating our roses.
(All the green in the background are weeds.)

There are climbing roses on each side of the little arch. They are are going to be good smellers.

We've got a lot of work left to finish this project. Then we have a lot of work to keep it going. I understand that I get to figure out how to keep it all watered.

2 comments:

BobbieS53 said...

I need to figure out roses. I have one bush and it is not doing so well. I think the ground where it is planted is the problem. I would love to put in a bunch of bushes somewhere in the back. It might be a good use of my horse manure. Cousin, Steve Miller, said that roses love horse manure!

P-Doobie said...

I would love to plant anything. That means the snow would be melted. Just as I get a little hope for sunshine and warm weather, it snows.

Mountain snowpack is good. Mountain snowpack is good.